Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Endo.

Ironically, my endo appointment was also on Diabetes Art Day [see my previous post]. In my opinion, the news I have to share here is more important than my lame attempt at sculpture, so I'm posting this last.

We get in, I do the test your meter stuff; it says 147 [yay!]. I hand the nurse my pump and dex, and my endo comes in shortly thereafter. They've got nifty computers now, so there's not someone who knocks on the door and tells you your A1c anymore [slightly disappointing].

My last one, three months ago, was 7.2. Pretty good considering I'm 17; my endo's always loved me. I wanted a 6 in the first place though, and that was my 'goal' when I talked to the RN at the last appointment.

She asked me what I thought it was. I said I wanted a 6 in the first place. She said there was. I was excited. Then she had me guess the decimal... I said 7 or 8 and she said lower... MY A1C WAS 6.5! It's never been that low!

Just after I was dx'd (on MDI) [after Christmas and the garbage that my bg had been ridiculous 'cause I didn't know I had d] I managed ones in 6.8 and 6.7, mostly because of my parents OCDness and me not eating anything that wasn't free or that I wasn't 'scheduled' to eat.

But 6.5 is awesome. And my endo said so. Then she pretty much decided I didn't need anything else and was going to let us leave (this ended up only being like a 30min appointment) but we had school paperwork and needed a scrip for glucagon. Then we asked for the social worker to come talk to us about a 'new technology' workshop thing they're doing in October, since my pump warranty is up in December. I'm looking forward to that. The lady who we talked to also does a discussion group thing for kids with diabetes, and I'm going to go to the one she has in the fall, and maybe present my stuff [for my gold award] at the one they do in the winter. I'm pretty psyched about it.

SIX POINT FIVE! YEAH!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great job on that 6.5! Awesome work, especially in those teen years. Very cool on the fall presentation and such, and will look forward to hearing more about it. Keep it up, Jackie, and thank you so much for sharing that with those of us in the Diabetes Online Community!

    ReplyDelete